Uncategorized

Built circa 1840, the Cowan-Ramser House is one of the oldest surviving Greek Revival residences in Eufaula.

Built circa 1840, the Cowan-Ramser House is one of the oldest surviving Greek Revival residences in Eufaula. Although the home was last used as Mr. Colonel White & Sons Funeral Home, the house was originally built as a private residence for William Cowan, who was one of Eufaula’s earliest physicians. Cowan and his wife had eight children, three of whom tragically died young. They also raised his wife’s orphaned brother. The couple’s daughters married wealthy district attorneys or state senators. One of Cowan’s sons served as an officer during the Civil War. In 1859, after Cowan’s death, one of his sons inherited the property. A few years later, in 1862, tragedy struck after a member of the Cowan family known for sleepwalking fell from the porch balcony becoming paralyzed.

 

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also
Close
Back to top button