Located in West Dunbartonshire, about two miles northwest of Alexandria, Scotland, UK
•Early in the 19th century (c. 1818) William Rouet, a Glasgow merchant, built an Italian villa on the rising ground of the area and named the house Belretiro.
•This house no longer exists, and the mansion which occupies the site was built during the period 1842-46 for George Martin, with later additions to the house being made by Mr Chrystal, a chemical manufacturer.
•After the war ended, the house passed to the Scottish Youth Hostels Association (SYHA), and plans were quickly drawn up in 1945 for its alteration to suit its new purpose.
•The house now (2007) offers 153 beds in 24 rooms, and retains many of its original features, including a ballroom, and a sweeping cast iron staircase with vast stained glass windows.